Sunday, December 11, 2011

Introducing The Angler Advocate


Tim Cook pictured with Texas Gov. Rick Perry
Welcome to the blog of The Angler Advocate, Tim Cook. Allow me to introduce myself. I have served as the State Conservation Director for the Texas B.A.S.S. Federation Nation since 2003. While most of my conservation work is in Texas, I am involved with and look forward to bringing attention to national issues of importance to anglers. I work closely with resource managers within Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, various river authorities, and state and federal Legislators. My passion is protecting and enhancing the sport I love which is bass fishing. In 2006, I was honored as the B.A.S.S. Conservation Director of the Year.
I believe that anglers must be the stewards of our resources. Our sport is dependant upon water. That water must be clean, accessible, contain habitat, and there must be enough of it. Every day there are interests competing for our water. Industry pollutes our water, developers are trying to restrict access to our water, habitat is disappearing from our water, and poor management of our water resources is severely limiting the amount of water we have for fish and wildlife. Most of the articles I write will center around these key threats.
These issues are important to you because the health of our sport depends upon the health of our fisheries. Anglers often take for granted the fish will always be there to catch. That will not be the case if we do not begin working together to lobby for our sport the same way any other billion dollar a year industry lobbies for itself. I am here to tell you that we are loosing that battle from the national level all the way down to your favorite lake. Do you know who is making decisions that will determine how low your lake level will be next summer? Are you familiar with what lake association is planning on clear cutting your favorite stretch of stumps you bang your crank bait off of? Does your state agency work with angler groups or do they manage your states resources without your input? I want to bring you positive stories of successful partnerships and ways anglers have made a difference or protected their home lake. I will also share the threats to our sport and what you can do about it.
I hope you will also share your thoughts with me. I am always looking to recognize and work with anglers or clubs which want to make a difference.

Sincerely,
Tim Cook
The Angler Advocate

No comments:

Post a Comment